CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Missing "Home"

I'm not sure why, but I am missing Greensboro a lot today and the past few days. Maybe it is because a different picture of this place is on the desktop of my computer screen...

That is right folks. Yum Yum's. And I didn't even add the picture. Frank did. I think he misses the town too. Don't get me wrong, I think that he loves being back home, but there is a lot that he misses that he didn't think that he would.

When I was in high school, I came to a summer camp called Senior High Assembly, done through the United Methodist Church. It was held at Greensboro College. It was my first trip to Greensboro. I fell in love with it. It felt like home to me, immediately. I knew in 9th grade that I wanted to go to college in Gboro, and live there. I ended up at UNCG after getting the Teaching Fellows scholarship. I say ended up because I originally wanted to go to Greensboro College but couldn't afford the private school; I need to get a scholarship.

After graduation, I really wanted to teach in Guilford County and my parents, I think, wanted me to come home for a while. You know, letting their baby go off on her own and all...I don't think they were all that excited about it. Well, after being home for the summer, I moved to High Point and started teaching. After living there for two years, I made it back to the city limits of Gboro. It just felt right.

Frank and I got married and had a baby boy. Life was good. Then the itch to move came on Frank. He felt called in some ways, but also has said that he pushed in a lot of ways to get us down here. I didn't want to move. I kept fighting God on it. His quiet voice reminded me that I didn't have to like the decision, but that I had to let my husband lead.

We moved almost 4 years ago and I still miss Gboro like crazy. I really wanted to raise my kids there. I think that has to be the best location in the state to be for sooo many reasons. Mountains. Beach. Both day trips. City life, yet not too big. Good roads and interstates. AMAZING FRIENDS!

A few weeks ago, Frank commented that it would be nice to go to a homecooking restaurant, after me having been sick for 3 weeks. I agreed. He said, "Like Haybles Hearth." My heart sunk. We still haven't found a great place like that. Someone, please go eat there for me! We ended up at Cracker Barrel instead.

Most days, I am OK with living at the beach. I know, some think that I am crazy for not doing back flips. I have a 2 and 4 year old. You can't take them to the beach at the drop of a hat and lay out in the sun or even take them in the water by yourself. It is such a huge ordeal. But deep down, I still miss Greensboro. I guess that I always will. I miss what it represented in my life. I am adjusting. I know that we are here for a reason. We have made some amazing friends. We have found a church that teaches the Word of God. We have a cute little house and another amazing little boy. I trust and believe that one day, either here or in Heaven, that I will be able to look back and see His mighty hand leading us in love.

But for now, for today, I miss Greensboro.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi Nan,

Greensboro misses you too. I have so enjoyed getting to chat with you via blogger and I think if you were here, we would have to hang out more, girl...we did hang out 4 years ago today- at Caro's wedding! Come visit anytime...I'd love to see you.

Heather said...

I miss Massachusetts really badly! (We lived there for four years after I graduated college). I still have the front license plate on our van!! I had such great friends there...and just loved SO MANY things about it!! Maybe we'll get to live there again some day:)

Running With Hope said...

Ditto, Sarah. Greensboro misses you, too, Nan!

Caroline said...

Come Home Lassie! Why Greensboro, why not Asheboring? I could use your company, but at least we get to see you when we come visit Mimi!

Nan said...

Thanks for the love ladies! I so wish that I could, but I trust that we are where we need to be. A piece of my heart is with you there. I have to try to let the Lord attach my heart to some things here too. I love you all!

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how much Greensboro misses you because I know how much Wilmington loves you! I don't know what God has in store for you here, but I'm sure grateful to Him for what He had in store for me by bringing you! I love you, Nan!